Sunday 20 October 2013

Cupcake Bouquet

A while ago while browsing Pinterest, I came across something called a cupcake bouquet. Basically it's a bunch of cupcakes decorated like flowers in a flower pot. Hey, seems easy enough, and if you're gonna get a bouquet that's not going to last, might as well get one that you can eat.

So in September I had two birthdays that I thought I could make these for. My boyfriend's mom and my best friend. I made one for Gerry (boyfriend's mom) because she likes flowers, and I honestly had no idea what else I could get her. I made one for Amberella (my BFF) because she basically told me she would disown me as a friend if I did not make her cupcakes for her birthday.

Gerry's bouquet
 
 
I looked up some tutorials on how to make it, and then just decided to wing it. Some of the tutorials said to get plastic cups to sit the cupcakes in to make sure they don't slide and flip off the bouquet. Turns out the cups I got weren't the right size and I didn't need them anyways, so now I just have a bunch of plastic cups haha.

Amberella's bouquet

I got the pots from the dollar store. They worked pretty well and held 9 cupcakes. I also got foam blocks from the dollar store to stuff in the bottom to fill the pot and have something for the skewers to stick in. The skewers were from the grocery store, I had to cut them a bit so they wouldn't stick out the top of the cupcake. The butterfly things are also from the dollar store, not sure what they're supposed to be used for but I thought they were cute.

Make cupcakes as usual, and to ice them use a Wilton 2D icing tip. Start piping the icing in the middle of the cupcake and work yourself in a circle towards the outside of the cake. I found it easier to ice the cupcakes once they were already in the pot, that way I didn't have to risk getting icing everywhere to put them in. 

These are not the easiest thing in the world to transport. I would like to come up with a way to deliver them that does not involve a passenger holding it. Though I must say thank you to my boyfriend for helping me deliver them :).

I think if I were to do this again and have more time I would get some fake leaves or something to stick in the gaps between the cupcakes, make it look a little better. Other than that I'm happy with how they turned out, and I think the recipients were too.

No comments:

Post a Comment