Sunday 30 March 2014

Harry Potter Reread: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Third month, third book, so that brings us to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. In case you're new to the reread there's a post that explains it with a list of blogs participating.
I don't know why it keeps taking me the entire month to actually finish the book and write a post about it. I used to be able to finish these books in a matter of hours. Possibly because I'm not just sitting down with a chunk of time and reading. I mostly read on my breaks at work.
Anywho, here's the synopsis for Harry's third year at Hogwarts

Harry Potter, along with his best friends, Ron and Hermione, is about to start his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry can't wait to get back to school after the summer holidays. (Who wouldn't if they lived with the horrible Dursleys?) But when Harry gets to Hogwarts, the atmosphere is tense. There's an escaped mass murderer on the loose, and the sinister prison guards of Azkaban have been called in to guard the school...


I've been finding throughout this reread that I keep thinking "ok let's get to the good stuff" when the book starts because honestly they do start off slow. Harry's at the Dursley's, he can't do magic, let's tell you everything that happened last year, blah blah blah. Then finally he blows up Aunt Marge, runs away and almost gets run over by the Knight Bus. I would very much like to travel by Knight Bus. At least once.
You just can't help but be happy for Harry once he gets to the Leaky Cauldron. I mean, sure he's confused why he's not getting expelled from Hogwarts, but then he gets to spend the rest of his summer holiday in the Dursley free environment that is Diagon Alley. I love getting to explore and learn more about Diagon Alley along with Harry. It's such an interesting place.
One of my favourite scenes out of the entire book is when Harry sees the Weasley's in the Leaky Cauldron.

Page 51
 The twins just crack me up. Which I suppose is king of their purpose, but still. They're two of my favourite characters.
I don't like how no one tells Harry what's going on with Sirius Black. I know he's still young, but I felt like they could have at least told him what happened.
It makes me sad how much the trio fights in this book. Over the Firebolt and Crookshanks eating Scabbers, which, after the fact probably seem really stupid to them.
I love the Marauder's Map, learning a little more about Harry's parents and their time at Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, the time turner (I have my own and I wish it really worked!), and Gryffindor finally winning the Quidditch Cup!
I'm looking forward to starting next month's read, and I'll have to start it very early because the books start getting bigger. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is sort of the turning point to the books getting sadder, slightly scarier and heavier.
Hope you're enjoying the reread and stay tuned for next month.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment