Tuesday 4 March 2014

Harry Potter Reread: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

As February is the second month (I know, I'm slow and it's March now), it makes sense that this month's Harry Potter reread would be the second book. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is book number 2 in the series. In case you're curious, the post explaining the reread can be found here, it also lists the other blogs participating in the reread if you'd like to read more posts. You can also check out my review for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
I have to say Chamber of Secrets is probably my least favourite of all the books. Not for any specific reason, but this reread didn't make me like it any better.
I hate what happens and that everyone thinks it's Harry, and Lockhart is just a giant ass. I kept internally yelling at them to not do stupid things. It's not that it's a bad book, I'm just not as fond of it. 
And again, if you've never read the books (why are you here?) I shall provide the synopsis.
HARRY POTTER is a wizard. He is in his second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little does he know that this year will be just as eventful as the last...

Wow, the synopses for these books so far suck. Well, I suppose they don't give anything away which is a good thing, but then people might not pick the book up because they have no idea what it might be about.
I had another "hmmm..." moment while reading this one, when the trio is discussing Tom Riddle and Harry says he really wishes he knew why Riddle got the award for special services to Hogwarts and Ron says "Could've been anything...Maybe he murdered Myrtle, that would've done everyone a favour..." I definitely never caught that before (call me stupid if you will) but, in reality, he did.
I'm having a particularly hard time writing this post and I'm not entirely sure why.
There are quite a few things in this book that are important later on in the series. Sometimes it's nice reading the series and the books for the first time, not knowing that a character is going to die or that an object mentioned will be important later on. But on the flip side of that, it's amazing to see all the details that JK put into these novels.
One thing I did love about Chamber of Secrets was getting to see a little bit more of the wizarding world. With getting to visit The Burrow, travelling by floo powder and the trip to Diagon (and Knockturn) Alley.
I apologize for how not exciting this review is. This book just doesn't excite me as much as the others, and it's already March so I think I may just end it here.
So next...I suppose this...month's reread with be book 3, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This book I like a little bit better so hopefully the reread and posting will be done earlier. 

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of people name this one as their least favourite. I for sure do. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like about this one either but, again, the reread didn't help me like it more. I just wanted to move onto Azkaban (er, the book, not the place...that would be weird...and impossible) because that one is my favourite. At least it is for now.
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete