Sunday 30 June 2013

Upcoming July Movie Releases

The end of June seemed to have snuck up on me. I was planning on writing this before the last day of June but between work and visiting home and playing soccer, I just never got around to it. So here I am writing this with less than 3 hours until July.

There appear to be only 3 movies coming to theatres this month that I want to see. And 1 on DVD, which I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to buy because I haven't seen it yet. And I'm trying to not buy movies without watching them after Bridesmaids (I thought I was going to like it and it was awful and I was so upset that I bought it).

So to start the month off, Despicable Me 2 is being released on July 3.

Now that the ever-entrepreneurial Gru has left behind a life of super-crime to raise Margo, Edith and Agnes, he, Dr. Nefario and the Minions have some free time on their hands. But as he starts to adjust to his role as a suburban family man, an ultra-secret organization dedicated to fighting evil around the globe comes knocking. Now, it's up to Gru and his new partner Lucy Wilde to discover who is responsible for a spectacular crime and bring him to justice. After all, it takes the world's greatest ex-villain to catch the one vying to take his place.
I just really hope this one is as good as the first. I'm a little worried, but from watching the previews it seems like it will be just as hilarious. To be totally honest I had no idea what this movie was actually about, until I found that synopsis haha. I didn't really care I just wanted to see it because of the kids and the minions. I absolutely love the minions. In fact their "ba ba nana" song is my ringtone. If you haven't even seen the first one, I highly recommend it.

Next up is The Wolverine on July 26.

Based on the celebrated comic book arc, this epic action-adventure takes Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), the most iconic character of the X-Men universe, to modern day Japan. Out of his depth in an unknown world he will face a host of unexpected and deadly opponents in a life-or-death battle that will leave him forever changed. Vulnerable for the first time and pushed to his physical and emotional limits, he confronts not only lethal samurai steel but also his inner struggle against his own immortality.


Part of me is only wanting to go see this because I know my boyfriend is going to want to. Another part of me thinks Hugh Jackman is kind of bad ass as Wolverine and I've gotten into the X-Men universe a little bit. Again, another movie I didn't really know was about until this synopsis. So we'll see how this goes, if I like it or not.

Last movie I'm looking forward to is The Smurfs 2 on July 31


In this sequel to the hybrid live action/animated family blockbuster comedy The Smurfs, the evil wizard Gargamel creates a couple of mischievous Smurf-like creatures called the Naughties that he hopes will let him harness the all-powerful, magical Smurf-essence. But when he discovers that only a real Smurf can give him what he wants, and only a secret spell that Smurfette knows can turn the Naughties into real Smurfs, Gargamel kidnaps Smurfette and brings her to Paris, where he has been winning the adoration of millions as the world's greatest sorcerer. It's up to Papa, Clumsy, Grouchy, and Vanity to return to our world, reunite with their human friends Patrick and Grace Winslow, and rescue her! Will Smurfette, who has always felt different from the other Smurfs, find a new connection with the Naughties Vexy and Hackus ¬ or will the Smurfs convince her that their love for her is True Blue? Returning cast includes Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vegara, Hank Azaria as Gargamel and Katy Perry as Smurfette. Brendan Gleeson joins the cast as Victor Winslow.

Oy that's a long synopsis. I need to add that when looking for this I found the French one and I always forget how funny I find the Smurfs in French...Les Schtroumpfs. Now I finally got to watch a trailer for this the other day (and I say finally because my phone was being a pain and wouldn't load it) and I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Obviously I love the Smurfs, but I'm not sure about this premise of stealing Smurfette and she potentially becoming naughty. Again, we will just have to see.

The only DVD release I'm somewhat looking forward to is G.I. Joe: Retaliation on July 30.

Captain Duke Hauser (Channing Tatum) and his G.I. Joe team are set up as traitors and targeted for destruction when the President of the United States (Jonathan Pryce) gives orders to have them terminated, thanks to the influence of Cobra spy Zartan. But the surviving members of the G.I. Joe team join forces with Joe Colton (Bruce Willis) to bring Zartan down and save the world with their top secret black operation, "Second American Revolution."
As I mentioned before I'm a little hesitant about buying this movie before watching it. Surprise, surprise, part of why I want to watch it is because of Channing Tatum. Even though my boyfriend says he dies really early on in the movie. I don't know if I can believe him though because he always tells me things that supposedly happen and then don't. Hopefully I do get to see it though.

I'm behind on movies now, I still need to see Monster's University and White House Down and then The Smurfs is coming out this Friday! Hopefully I can catch up before the end of the month. I'm going home to Midland on Thursday so I'm hoping that I have enough points and Monster's University is in 2D then I think I'll be going to see that.

Stay tuned for more movie reviews, and more misadventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment