Thursday 18 April 2013

Mini Movie Review: Olympus Has Fallen

Normally I don't go to the movies on a non Tuesday night, but I got a 2 for 1 coupon that expired on the 30th, so we decided to go. I was torn on what movie I wanted to go see, because I *really* wanted to see GI Joe: Retalliation, but it was in 3D. And I am not at all fond of 3D. The other movie I wanted to see was Olympus Has Fallen, and it's out of theatres tomorrow. Therefore, it was decided we were going to see Olympus.

I'll start off with the very short synopsis given by Cineplex:
When the President (Aaron Eckhart) is kidnapped by a terrorist who seizes control of the White House (Secret Service Code: "Olympus"), disgraced former Presidential guard Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) finds himself trapped within the building. As the national security team rushes to respond, they must rely on Banning's insider knowledge to save the President and prevent an even greater catastrophe.

Now I don't know about you, but I love me some Gerard Butler haha. He was the highlight of the film.

The movie starts off with an unfortunate incident which results in Banning's termination from the President's security detail. It then brings you to 18 months later, where he's working at the treasury, wanting to get back on the President's team.

It seems pretty illogical that he can manage to get from the treasury which is next door to the White House, past all the bad guys without dying, with just his hand gun while all the Secret Service guys are dying.

There's lots of exploding, lots of blood, and lots and lots of people dying. I really wasn't expecting that much death. At all. But even though it was a high action, high amounts of death movie, they still managed to have some funny parts. Like the fact that they call the President's son "Spark Plug".

Overall I thought it wasn't a bad movie. Probably not one that I'll be buying, but I wouldn't say no to watching it again. Gerard Butler is pretty badass, and there's a fairly happy ending. Other than, you know, all the people who died.

Hopefully I didn't give anything away, and that you'll still want to watch it after reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment